It is not possible to compensate for the loss of sleep. Although you sometimes feel less tired, the excesses to which you have subjected your body and your brain can not be compensated.
If you are one of those who think that you are balancing your rest by staying up late today and sleeping more tomorrow, you are mistaken. It is biologically impossible to recover hours of sleep. Sleep loss never reverses. In addition, it can generate health problems.
The body needs a certain number of hours of rest each day to be able to function normally. Normal sleep is between seven and nine hours a day. If you sleep less than that, sooner or later you will feel the negative effects.
The body works in cycles and not as a cumulative container. If the body does not complete one cycle, it starts the next with this deficit. However, the next cycle borrows nothing from the previous cycle to balance, but is done independently.
Find out in this article how sleep loss affects us and why it is not possible to compensate for it.
The loss of hours of sleep:
Sleep is a fundamental physiological process for humans and for many animals. Indeed, the brain does not rest while you sleep, but it is more active. It advances fundamental processes of organization and self-repair.
When you are not sleeping enough, the first thing that is affected is your cognitive processes. You cannot process the information in the same way, you become less able to learn and you have problems concentrating. In addition, your mood tends to be affected.
If you have adopted a lifestyle where you go to bed very late and you wake up very early, you will be in a deficit every day.
If, for example, you fall asleep at 2 am and wake up at 7 am, you need at least 2 hours of sleep a day to your body. One week equals 14 hours, two full nights of sleep.
When this lasts a long time, the effects also become permanent. In other words, you will usually have limited intellectual performance, a bad mood and more of an organic problem.
It is impossible to recover hours of sleep. Therefore , these lifestyles are very harmful.
Recover hours of sleep:
Those who believe that it is possible to recover hours of sleep begin to organize their lives around irregular rest cycles. In addition to the consequences already mentioned, one of the effects of this situation is that the ” circadian rhythm “ is affected.
The circadian rhythm is a kind of biological clock that we all have. The immediate consequence of the alteration of the circadian rhythm is a kind of chaos in the production of hormones.
The whole body runs in sync, and if you change something, everything else is changed. It’s as if you are changing the movement of one of the clock’s hands: the others will start marking another hour, or they will be damaged.
Changes in hormone production cause, for example, weight gain, loss of appetite and skin problems.
In the long run, the whole metabolism changes, making you more vulnerable to serious diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure and even heart problems.
Instead of worrying about recovering hours or not sleeping, the good thing to do is to change your habits to ensure proper rest and take care of your health. Some desirable measures are:
- Know your sleep pattern: do a little self-diagnosis. Write down the time you go to bed and the time you wake up for about 15 days. This will give you a basic overview of what steps to take to improve your rest
- Adapt your environment before falling asleep: eliminate strong lights, noises and all those stimuli that can alter your sleep
- Have a good bed: a good bed is a highly profitable financial investment. You will probably spend a third of your life there and it must be comfortable
- Set a schedule: always lie down at the same time and do the same thing to get up. Keep this calendar for more than 45 days and you will probably get used to it. You should always sleep at least 7 hours
- Get some exercise and relax: to sleep better, you need at least 15 minutes of exercise a day. Never do too much near your bedtime. When bedtime approaches, the exercises you should do are relaxation exercises